Friday, November 25, 2011

Big Dreaming: Gypsy Caravan

The best part of a project is at the beginning where you dream about what you want.  Forget about practicalities or money or any of the other silly things reality brings to the mixture like building codes and road rules.  Lets just take the time to lie on the grass on a sunny day and look up lazily into the trees ... and dream. 

I have had about a week of day dreaming (when I probably should be working or listening to something our teenage son said about about this hot chick.....NOTE: must revisit that last one with him.  *LOL*) and its been good.  So let me share my modern gypsy dream with you.
The romantic in me would love a Vardo type caravan.  They usually have lovely detailing like carvings and fretwork with exotic colours that appeal to the gypsy in everyone.  I think every outing in it would be like a trip to the past, where Vince and I can park up and just listen to the radio quietly while reading good books and what not. 
Bohemian Interiors
The interior would be hung with jacquard, romantic hangings with many pillows to lounge on.  I would love to have one of those barn doors opening from a little porch just big enough to fit two chairs on.  I'd have lead-light windows throughout with little window boxes for a plant or two that takes my fancy.  (Knowing Vince it would be a carnivorous plant of some sort.)
The inside will have a comfortable bed ( because if I wanted rustic I would go camping ), a small table and chairs set for eating, a simple kitchen, and a bathroom/toilet arrangement (again rustic = camping + sleeping on the ground + bushes).  I'm not big on TV, but I do like to have a lap-top with some movies, music and such for the odd occasion.  I would also have a Kindle with a few books. Internet would be great but not necessary because being off the grid is the only way to have a true holiday.  I would also keep as much of the modern gadgetry discretely out of sight until needed which would add to the gypsy mystique.....The mood this evokes brings a smile to my lips every time!
Living Gypsy Vardo


While searching the web for some images to go with my words I came across a flicker gallery that captured what I was trying to say. So I take the opportunity to thank the author Jacksonoffice2003 for being able to put images to thoughts I wanted to share with you.  I wish I could put all the images on the blog, but that would be a wee bit silly so if you are interested in exploring the gypsy side of life and other related topics take a look at Jacksonoffice2003.

http://www.dawndoran.com/tag/vardo
Everyday living has a way of complicating life with all the things we want and in the race to achieve it that we tend to forget what we truly need: A roof over our heads, a place to sleep, enough food to eat, to experience love and feel safe, to experience beauty, life, family and friendships.....So while I dream away the hours of this detail or that, what Vince and I need is a wee place of our own where we can slow down to enjoy the small pleasures that life has to offer.

So lets keep dreaming.  We will eventually work through what our project needs as we get down to the planning. What we need to do is keep the spirit alive which is the vivid dreams we had together that kick-started this project:  to retreat, replenish, and return to ourselves and those we cherish dearly. 


Cheerios,

M-






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message below :)